Tuesday, October 4, 2011

10-4 Ten Code



I remember the first set of walkie talkies in our neighbor.  I was super jealous.  The thought of being able to chat with your friends after being sent to bed each night was intriguing.  I'm not sure what there was to talk about considering the neighbor kids had played together all day long.  (Running around without shoes and only rarely checking in with my mom - not a care in the world!).  What more was there to say at the end of the day?   Never mind what we'd talk about.  If I had owned a set of walkie talkies I imagined using code and responding back with a standard 10-4.  I had no idea what it meant, but I knew that the truck drivers used it to end respond to other drives or to end a conversation.

My Grandpa Lenny was quite advanced in social media.  Nope not Facebook or Twitter.  He didn't even have an email account.  What he did own was a scanner to listen in to the police activity.  As a kid I was in awe of the fact that he knew all of the important town gossip before most other people.  If we were lucky enough to hear anything come across the scanner I anxiously awaited a "10-4".

A few days ago I sent an email to a sales guy reminding him of a very important corporate policy (said policy was likely put in place to save lives!).  I received a reply that simply said.... 10-4.  First I was in disbelief.  Almost a bit irritated.  Until I remembered there was a point in my life where finding the right point to use 10-4 was a highlight of the day.  Maybe even the week.

When the moon and stars align you might even find a way to utilize 10-4 on 10/4.

10-24.

Looking to brush up on the code?  Check out this complete listing of Ten Code

Note: After G-chatting for about an hour or so yesterday with a friend I still found a reason to send approximately 13 emails and 3 text messages to a friend who will remain nameless.  Perhaps I hadn't talked to her in weeks or months.  Or perhaps I spoke to her several times the day before.  There is always something to talk about.  AT&T is thankful that I'm not short on words!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok - so my dad did wrecker calls 24 hours a day and my mom would always 'call' him on the cb radio and so I grew up hearing 10-4! And my mom STILL has a police scanner with a cheat sheet of course. 10-50 PD only was the most common. (accident but no ambulance needed). Love love love! And of course there's a set of walkie talkies around this house from the bed rest days!