Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Rewind. Do Over.



The arm twisting and triathlon back in July didn't end well.  It was an accomplishment.  The weeks that followed were not all that fun.  As a result I missed out some perfect August evenings and runs around Cascade Lake.  For weeks on end in July I trained for that triathlon in 90 degree temperatures.  With sweat dripping into my eyes, I zoned out pretending the temps were in the 70s or even low 80s.  While I fought through the early weeks of recovery and tried out a few pain killers before being prescribed Michael Jackson's death drug,the temperatures dialed back and the weather gods offered up my ideal running weather.  At this point I couldn't even bend over to tie my running shoes.  I was frustrated with the doctors and annoyed that I was immobile.  I was jealous of all the runners on the trail each night as I could barely let the dog out for a potty break.

10 weeks later I have managed to increase my walking mileage up to 3 miles.  This week we've been given a little gift.  One last rendezvous with summer, specifically those August nights that I spent in bed instead of on the running trail.  Tonight I decided to take that leap and turn the walk into a run.  I was anxious.  A web of worry - that I wouldn't remember how to run and that I'd be in pain.  After a minute or so I found my groove and fell into a rhythm.  The warm temperature allowed me to break a sweat without having to worry about my eyes stinging.  The pain free strides allowed me to clear my head.  The worry was trumped by relief.

Rarely we are allowed a do over.  I got lucky tonight.  And it felt great.  If my lucky streak continues (or rather the weatherman is right) I'll get a chance to repeat tonight a few more times this week.  Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this post! And impressed with the positive spin - good work :)