Thursday, April 29, 2010

Magically Delicious


I've been feel rather lazy lately.  I wish I could blame the laziness on being sick, perhaps a nasty virus.  One for which there are no antibiotics.  One where you need to take grandma's advice and drink lots of water and get lots of rest.  Can't say I've had an abundance of water lately, but I've been working on the rest part.  Last night's 9pm bedtime is proof that I'm working on it.  Just haven't made much progress.

So in my lazy ways (and due to a naggy pain on the right side of my abdomen) I opted for cereal for dinner.  I was thanking my orange marshmallow stars that I went back to aisle 5 and nabbed that box of Lucky Charms.  I'll be honest - I was originally looking for Alpha Bits.  Thank goodness I didn't find them.  The Lucky Charms were just what I wanted and needed tonight.  If you're on a budget (and I am!) then Marshallow Mateys might serve the same purpose.

I poured an extra large bowl and settled in on the couch.  Instantly I was taken back to the days when I was about seven or eight years old.  I would sit at the kitchen counter at one of two barstools.  My sister sat along side me on the other barstool.  I remember those barstools like it was yesterday, they swiveled from left to right.  But Dad was quick to remind us not to bang the arm rests up against the countertop.  Nestled under the kitchen cabinet and against the wall was a small television.  It was small.  With rounds knobs for the channels and volume.  I don't even think they make them that small these days.  That television wasn't even as large at the screen on my laptop.  Size didn't matter (in this case) as my sister and I would sit at the counter and eat our breakfast.  Lingering in hopes of watching a few more minutes of television before Mom or Dad would coax us into the bathroom to get ready for school.

As we lingered I ate the oat pieces of the cereal first.  Then methodically ate the marshmallows by type.  There were yellow moons, organge stars, blue diamonds, red balloons, purple horeshoes and finally the rainbows.

I was busy recalling memories during my first bowl, so it wasn't until I poured my second bowl of cereal that I realized I could hardly recognize any of the marshmallows.  Couldn't find the pink hearts or purple horseshoes.  These marshmallows were striped and made of strange shapes.  I finally found one or two rainbows.  While it was magically delicious it was most definitely missing some of my favorite marshmallows. 

For a few minutes I was annoyed by the changes to the box of Lucky Charms.  When I googled Lucky Charms and found plenty of reading material and images I realized that the contents of the cereal box isn't the only thing in my life that has changed dramatically since sitting at the counter eating breakfast before school.  As I reached over to grab the remote control and change the channel on the television I was thankful not to have to get up and turn a know.  I was also thankful to have outgrown the hairstyle of the eight year old me.

I'm hoping I have as much energy as the leprechaun tomorrow!

If you're curious about the cereal, like me, check out the details and history here.
Can't seem to find the source of the photo!

No comments: