Sunday, January 17, 2010

Birthday Memories...




For a number of years during my childhood there was a birthday tradition that I will never forget - a birthday date with my Godfather - Uncle Dan.

Uncle Dan is my mother's youngest brother.  He can be quiet and private, but he also has a dry, unique sense of humor, coy smile and a kind loving heart - ever supportive of his family.  As the youngest child he found small ways to add humor to an average day or a family celebration.  To me he was a really cool uncle - who also happened to be my godfather.  He lived in a handful of small towns with names I had rarely heard.  Growing up in southwestern MN with much of my extended family nearby I thought I knew most of the surrounding towns.  However Uncle Dan seemed to find a way to land in those I had never heard of.  He moved around for his job.  I wasn't really sure what his job was, but I knew it was important and I was quite certain that he was rich!

The reason why I knew he was rich was because he spoiled me on my birthday date.  Unfortunately I don't recall the planning details surrounding this date - but nonetheless it occurred for a number of years and I cherish the memories.  Uncle Dan would come pick me up at my parent's house.   I recall waiting patiently at the front picture window.  As I write those words I have no idea what a picture window is.  Our picture window was big and it overlooked the driveway and front yard.  As a child I spent many anxious minutes with my forehead pressed against that window waiting and watching.  Uncle Dan drove a variety of cars - perhaps they came with the different towns he lived in.  The one I recall most vividly was the Bronco - it was black and gray and not like any other vehicle I had ever been in.

After anxiously waiting for Uncle Dan to arrive, we were off on our birthday date.  To where you ask?  To a little place known as Kristi's Closet!  Can you even believe it! There was a children's clothing store on Main Street of M-town by the name of Kristi's Closet.  What a fun coincidence!  Inside the store I was free to roam the endless racks of clothes - jeans, shirts, dresses... even pajamas and bathrobes.  For my birthday gift, Uncle Dan said I could pick out 2 outfits.   The store was a small boutique-like shop but they had more clothes than this girl could fathom.  So from there I picked clothes off the rack and the warm, welcoming, bubbly woman working in the store lined them up in the fitting room.  I took my time carefully picking out my birthday gifts.  I really wonder how long we spent in the store - because in the mind of this girl it felt like hours!

If my memory serves me right I often chose one outfit and then a bathrobe.  For some reason I was drawn to the pajamas and bathrobes.  What little girl doesn't need a new bathrobe every year!

With my shopping bag in hand and a smile on my face we headed back home where I would proudly present to my mom, dad and little sister (who wasn't allowed on my birthday date!) what I had chosen.  Then I would likely dance on the rust-colored living room carpet on top of my Uncle Dan's feet.  Another tradition that leaves me smiling... years later on my birthday.

Not my feet or the rust-colored carpet in the image above.
It was borrowed from the image bank/getty images and spotted here. 

No comments: