Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Don't Forget!

When I was a kid I would sometimes notice that my mom was wearing her wedding ring on the opposite hand alongside another ring.  I remember questioning her about why the ring was on the "wrong" finger.  I don't remember her exact response, but she informed me that the purpose was to remind her to do something.  From that point on I knew that if her ring was on the "wrong" finger it was a reminder.




Don't forget!  Easier said than done.

I rented the Dexter - First Season DVD on New Year's Eve from a rental store close to my house.  (A little bird keeps urging me to start the series after she spurred my most recent addiction.)  Unfortunately I didn't get around to watching Dexter on New Year's Eve, but I didn't stress - the DVD was rented until the following Thursday so I still had plenty of time before it was due back in the store.  The weekend passed quickly, Thursday came and went and it's been 13 days since I rented the DVD.  The DVD first sat on my TV stand, then on the table, the counter and finally it made it's way into my handbag.  It traveled with me to the office and home again.  Today I tossed it on the driver's seat of my car when I got to the office to remind me to return it on the way home.  As I raced out of the office to get the dog from doggie daycare that DVD was far from the top of my mind.  The reminders that flooded my mind on the way to the office had been replaced by a million other thoughts and a few more important reminders.  As I paid the parking attendant I reached under me and tossed the DVD on the passenger's seat.  Picked up the dog, made it home and as I pulled into the driveway I saw the DVD staring back at me like a serial killer. 

I've got all sorts of ways to remind myself of things that need to be done.  There are the notepads next to the fridge where I capture the grocery list.  There are numerous reminders in Outlook - some from over 2 weeks ago.  I carry a cute little notepad in handbag to make notes when I am out and about.  There are several notepads and post-it notes at my desk.  I send email to myself.  I left the DVD on the driver's seat and that still didn't work!  How do you remind yourself - DON'T FORGET!  There is lot to remember in my life these days - does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep yourself  me organized.  Please share!

No comments: