Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Theme song.



This debit & kredit girl has plenty of busy season memories.  There have been a handful of sleepless nights, a few tears (o.k. more than a few!), a crashed computer or two and a dollop of frustration on top.  But at the same time I have made great friends, shared many a laughs and pulled some all-star office pranks during busy season.

Amidst all those memories there is the all important busy season theme song.  During the season of busy-ness I treasure my time in the car more than ever.  It is a cherished twenty or thirty minutes a day where my mind runs free.  My thoughts jump from the client phone call I forgot to return, to the fact that I have left the dog at home for too many hours or the realization that there is no food to eat or clean clothes to wear!  And just when I feel completely overwhelmed I hear my theme song and for the next three minutes I turn up the radio and sing along without a care in the world!

The theme song is not something that is handpicked after careful consideration.   Often is comes about all on its own.

I think it was busy season #5, but I really can't be sure.  That was the year that got the best of me.  Also a year that the theme song was slow and depressing.  "Worn Me Down" by Rachel Yamagato.  To this day I feel tears welling up in my eyes when I hear that song.

Last year the song was a little bit more upbeat.  Despite the fact that I listened to "Gives Me Hell" more than 42,000 times I still have no idea what that song is about.

Each and every night last week I got in the car, took a deep breath and turned up the radio - and there it was - this year's theme song.... Empire State of Mind. You can't help but feel bettter after listening to a little hip hop with some R&B soul.  So I turn the volume up a little louder than in years past and by the time I sing along to the last line of the song I am ready to conquer the world.  Well maybe not the world - but I am ready to find my sweat pants, let the dog out, eat some dinner and review a few more audit workpapers.

Thanks Jay-Z and Alicia Keys!

2 comments:

suzie sanborn said...

Funny. I was wondering the other day if they played this song as much in other states as they do in NY! I hope the song also gives you the itch to book a trip to NYC to see a friend! (:

andrea said...

Another good one is Temper Trap's "Sweet Disposition". Maybe you could have two? But I think numero uno is just perfect! Jam it, Krids!