Sunday, January 31, 2010

Can we still be friends?




I don't have the best record when it comes to my sinuses.  My senior year in college I remember having some sort of cold virus or sinus infection non-stop for four months.  I decided to settle the score by having surgery.  The college roomies likely remember the post-surgery nights - when I slept in the recliner in the living room based on the doctor's orders.  In fact, the worst part of that process was the fear that led up to my first sneeze post-surgery.

Several years have passed and I was free of sinus related sickness.  As more time passed they slowly creeped back into my life.  About that same time I happened to watch an Oprah episode where she featured the Neti Pot.  Now Oprah can get excited about almost anything (I like that about her!), but her audience members where sharing their own stories and raving about how this little watering can will change your life.  I didn't want to miss out on anything life changing - so I stopped at the drug store down the road only to find the shelves empty.  When I turned to the pharmacist in despair she smiled and informed me that since the Oprah episode they haven't able to keep them in stock.  Wow - I guess I wasn't the only one looking for a life changing experience.  I was lucky enough to snag one when their next shipment came in.  I've been using the neti pot off and on since that time.

In preparation for this season of busy-ness I decided to ramp up my precautionary measures in hopes of avoiding sickness.  I increased use of the neti pot, added some airborne to my daily routine and have been drinking as much water as possible.  Lately, I have even gone so far as to brag about my neti pot use.  When a friend or co-worker is sick I promot the neti pot to no end.  I only wish I got a commission for promoting the product!  After showing empathy for their sickness I would walk away believing my BFF the neti pot was going to save me from their misery.

Last Friday morning I woke up and knew I was in trouble.  I tried to deny it, but the symptoms only continued to worsen during the day.  By the time I left the client that night I proceeded directly to the drugstore near my house to stock up on supplies.  If the defensive team had failed me, I was ready to call on the offensive team.  Some of the star players include:

1. Zicam
2. Sudafed
3. Robitussin
4. Advil
5. Vicks Vapor Rub
6. Zinc
7. Kleenex
8. Water bottle (don't worry Haley - it's my stainless steel water bottle!)

After a long day of work on Saturday, I spent most of Sunday in bed.  I've been giving the offensive players quite the workout.  Let's hope there aren't any serious risks by mixing these medications, because I've lost track of how many doses I've taken in the past 24 hours.  My sneezes are GIGANTIC.  Seriously, the pictures hanging on the wall shake when I sneeze.  I have used no less than 378,942 kleenexes this weekend.  I'm not going to lie - I am having serious doubts about my relationship with the neti pot.  But after careful consideration I am hoping we can still be friends!  I'm not going to let this one bad experiences get in the way of our friendship.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You left Airborne off your list - and I'm sure that has been a part of the routine as well! And if Jamba Juice isn't on your list it should be. Get better soon!

Kbomb said...

Seriously - I think I ran into 832,579 people that had nasty colds this weekend...sorry to hear that you were one of them! I like the use of the exaggerated number in your post :). Feel better soon!