Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bedrest & Buffalo Chicken Chili




Last year at this time bedrest was a way of life for my friend Kristin.  She was 35 weeks pregant with twin boys.  She had set up shop in her bed - this included a make shift office that allowed her do her debit and kredit work right from her bed! 

I visited her most Friday nights.  It felt strange to be greated at the door by her husband and dog who would lead me into the bedroom.  Tere I found a glowing pregnant girl nestled in the king size bed.  She would invite me into the bed - where we would spend an hour or so recounting that past few days.  She was desperate for some sense of life outside of her bed and her house for that matter!  I was amused to look around in awe at everything she has right there in bed with her - there was a table set up next to the bed to allow for storage of 2 computers, powercords, stacks of paper, a calculator, pens, pencils, water, chapstick, camera, yarn, knitting kneedles, phones, remote controls, medication to stop the contractions and possibly even a snack.  It seemed like she might be able to survive in there for many more weeks.  In total she spent about 8 weeks on bedrest before Prior and Mason decided to make their appearance.  The night they were born is a story on its own!
Clearly the boys are the best thing that came out of her bedrest stint.  But I would argue that Rachael Ray's buffalo chicken chili recipe is a close second.  She happened to watch an episode where Rachel made buffalo chicken chili and topped it off with melted blue cheese on tortilla chips.  Kristin knows my love of blue cheese and this recipe is one of my faves.  I make it often and never get sick of it.  If you haven't tried it yet - do so soon!

Buffalo Chicken Chili

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
2 tablespoons butter
2 pounds all-white meat ground chicken breast
1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, finely chopped
5 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon smoked paprika (you can substitute with chipotles or chipotle chili powder)
1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 to 1/2 cup hot sauce, depending on how hot you like it
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 7-ounce bag yellow corn chips
1 7-ounce bag blue corn chips
3/4 pound blue cheese, crumbled



You can find the recipe here.

I now use a rotisserie chicken and just shred the meat instead of ground chicken meat.  I have even added some sort of white beans to make it a little more hearty!  Enjoy.

It seems like forever since Kristin was on bedrest - or wait, maybe it feels like just last week.  All I know is that those boys are having a birthday very soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it! As I hold back the tears because my boys are turning one - I am going to need you to remind me how much work it was to get them!