Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday Night Routine


It's been a long week.  I am struggling to keep my head above water, answer questions from the audit teams and the clients, review workpapers, read emails and get home before the dog pees in his crate.  I have extreme guilt over the last one cuz it happened this week for the first time since he was a little puppy.  But don't worry about it - I made up for it by playing indoor fetch (one handed while I work on the computer) for over an hour that night.

Tomorrow is Friday.  There is a certain end of the week excitement.  I can still hear that song.. "It's Friday night, we're gonna have some fun, show you how it's done... T.G.I.F".  Years ago ABC's lineup including Family Matters, Step By Step, Full House and Perfect Strangers created end of week excitement.   Friday doesn't hold the same excitement when you have plans to spend Saturday in the office.  But I've managed to create a different sort of excitement.

I have a new Friday routine.  It's doesn't involve margaritas on the patio or Dateline and beers. 

The new routine provides the opportunity to clear my head and decompress.  It's a hussle to try and leave work early, I'm anxious in traffic, but by the time I get to the gym I am ready for some personal time.  I spend 60 minutes away from the cell phone and laptop and clear my head of all numbers - both debits and kredits.  After class I sit in the sauna to soak it all in for a few more minutes, then go home to the dog, play some fetch, take a nice long shower, and find some dinner.   After a little T.V, and internet I retreat to bed with the latest US Weekly.  A little relaxation after a long week.  The alarm will go off early and I've got lots to get done on Saturday.

But for now... I'm really looking forward to my Friday night routine.

No comments: