Friday, February 26, 2010

Broken Glass

For some reason I have always liked Annie Lennox's song - Walkin on Broken Glass.  It's a catchy tune and sometime I find myself singing it out loud.  After the course of today's events I am not sure that I will ever sing along to this song again.

I started the day short of sleep and as a result short on patience.  My wakeup call came from a friend instead of my alarm.  I was already late for my appointment at the chiropractor.  I simply couldn't pull myself out of bed.  Finally I mustered enough energy.  I think I might have found my entire outfit in the pile of dirty clothes on my bedroom floor.  Shhhhh!  Don't tell anyone!  With the dog in his crate I ran out of the house and thankfully remembered my gym bag.  Made it to the chiropractor and finally to the client.

After a busy morning I completed some important debit and kredit work and sent it off the team for more auditing.  I packed up the computer and a ridiculous stack of paper and hussled to the car.  Wondering what I would get for lunch I saw a new email on my phone.  Here's where things start heading south.  I sent the wrong file.  I was headed north on 94 off to the next client, but quickly diverted to the closest Caribou.  This was my second visit to Caribou today.  I opted for their wifi instead of coffee.  I impatiently (remember I am short on patience today) waited to boot up my computer, opened the file and resent the correct file. 

Back on the road again and nothing interested me for lunch.  Lunch just seemed like a waste of time at this point.  I decided that a left turn wasn't worth it so I ruled out many lunch options.  I passed by Burger King, Denny's, and DQ.  I was now left with only one option.  FatBoy Sandwhiches.  I have never even heard of the place.  But I had mocked the name of the sandwich place as I drove by earlier this week.  Pretty sure they could have come up with a better name!  Yet, I was was the succumbing to FatBoy's.  What's worse? it is took me THREE tries to find the entrance.  What a waste of time. I'm afraid I jinxed myself with the TIGF theme song!


I was finally at the second client of the day and busy auditing.  Things were getting a little stressful and the sun was at the perfect angle.  By 4pm, the sun hit a perfect angle and raised mercury to an incredible heat.  It felt like a sauna in the audit room.  I had planned on the sauna today - but was hoping to hit it up after the workout.  By 4:30 we were all sweating, crabby and not very productive.  It was time to leave for the gym.

After an intense FIT class Kristin and I grabbed towels and headed for the sauna.  We were devastated to find a sign on the door to the pool area indicating that the pool area - includinng the sauna - is closed due to a remodel.  Worse yet - it's closed for the next month!  Really?  I'm pretty sure this isn't my favorite day.

We chat in the lockeroom minus the heat of the sauna.  Then home to the dog.  Fetch, a shower and now into the kitchen to find something for dinner.  Sometimes I justify not cleaning the kitchen or loading the dishwasher all week long.  I have deemed it inefficient to do this on a daily basis and instead save it for the weekend.  I was dreading the task but knew I wouldn't be in the mood after spending Saturday at the office.  I reluctantly started unloading the dishwasher so that I could then begin loading it again.  A swift pivot and then came a CRASH! A wine glass broke into 1,000,042 pieces.  That's when the tears came.  Honestly, I am a bit surprised there weren't tears earlier in the day.  At this point I paused, wondering if there was someone I could call to come clean this up.  Mom?  I realized that wasn't going to happen so I put the Dyson to work.  And as I vacuumed slivers of glass I couldn't help but start singing the words to Walkin on Broken Glass.

Not a great photo of the glass - but there's the stem on the edge of the rug!


1 comment:

suzie sanborn said...

oh no! I think you should start TGIS instead!