Thursday, February 18, 2010

Gramps.


Gramps was a social guy. Always in good spirits and looking to make a new friend. He loved telling stories of his younger years.  He admitted to getting into his fair share of trouble back in the day.  In his later years he rode a motorized scooter downtown to local bar and restaurant to hang out with the other locals.  He wasn't afraid to write a letter to his friendly congressmen or senator to give him a a piece of his mind.  He may have even told a few dirty jokes in his day. 

My favorite memories of my Grandpa Lenie are those of him sitting in his beloved chair.  Now there was more than one chair in his lifetime, but the one that comes to mind was a classic 1970s shade of rusty orange.  My family would pull into the alley driveway and my sister and I were anxious to run inside and find Grandpa.  I can smell and feel the cool damp air in the driveway.  There were big old trees that shaded the driveway and left droppings in the gravel.  We would enter the breezeway and let the featherlight screendoor slam behind us.  Inside the house was the tiny kitchen and memories of drinking Pepsi out of glass bottles.  Through dining room doorway and around the corner we would find grandpa sunken in his chair.  There was an incredible light in his eyes and a smile that filled his face.  A tight squeeze that lasted just long enough to show how much he loved me.  A greeting I will never forget. 

We would spend the afternoon visiting.  Grandpa remained sunken in his chair with the mustard yellow leather footrest stained with newspaper print.  I would climb in his lap and explore all the cool things that made their home on the end table next to his chair.  The phone.  An outdated lamp that went well with the '70s chair.  A magnifying glass.  His police scanner. A pocket knife.  Toothpicks.  I was always interested in what I found on that end table. 

Last Friday evening Grandpa Lenie left this earth and made his way to heaven. He lived a good life. While his memory was old and tired, his spirit was awake and alive even in his final days. He will be missed. I’ve spent the past few days recalling childhood memories and am making a point to etch them in my mind and in my heart.

Gramps ended each visit with a hug that rivaled the previous and a kiss on the cheek while wishing me “all the luck in the world”.  He wasn’t shy to tell me just how proud of me he was.  It always felt good to hear it – but it warms my heart right now. 

Today I will say goodbye to Gramps.  It's my turn to tell him that I'm proud of him.  He lived a good life and has left quite a legacy.  I love you Gramps.

3 comments:

suzie sanborn said...

Beautiful post Kristi. Your Grandpa really sounds like a special guy.

andrea said...

Many hugs to you, Kristi. Your post was beautiful. What a tribute!

Mom said...

Hi Krist, thanks for writing such nice things about your Grandpa. Brings back memories! Love, Mom