Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Just Me and My Sister


It’s been a few years since my family lived at 901 Elaine. Back in the day it was just me and my sister as my other two siblings had yet to join our family. Two years separate us in age. As most sisters will attest this allows for a best friend on some days and a best enemy on other days.

As young children, the differences between Amy and I were obvious. She wore a short haircut - and longed for a rat tail! One of her favorite television shows was MacGyver. There was a point in time when her most treasured possession was a rabbit's foot. She had a pet hamster named Jack. She wore Converse shoes. Listened to REM constantly. Always kept her "beeta" near by. (P.S. a beeta is an affectionate term for a much loved, well-worn security blanket. This one was originally pink in color but today takes on a dull grayish tone.) It’s funny to me that many years later some of my favorite memories of my sister are the stark differences between the two of us.

We grew closer as friends after I moved away to college, but there are countless memories that I cherish from when it was just me and my sister…
Here are just a few:
- Watching cartoons on Saturday mornings and eating Bisquick from measuring cups (this was while Mom and Dad slept late!)

- Sunday night picnics in the basement with popcorn and orange juice.

- Easter egg hunts in the living room.

- First day of school photos.

- Family vacations to the Black Hills.

- The time you and Mom went to Florida and Disney World without me!

- The day you went to church without wearing underwear.

- Our pet rabbits and the winning trophy at the pet show.


Happy Birthday to my sister. I hope you enjoyed your day and I wish you only the best in the next year. Maybe this will be the year that you decide to give up your beeta?!?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Amy! I love the old stories. If I were Amy - I wouldn't give up the beeta.